Replace(2:17pmET): Among the many most vital elements of Biden’s speech was his vowing that US troops wouldn’t interact Russia in Ukraine – however whereas additionally reemphasizing that america would defend NATO soil, at a second further US troops are going to Germany, and as extra US fighter jets deploy to allied Baltic states to guard NATO territory.
Crucially direct sanctions on Putin himself will not be presently on the desk, and it is now clear that disconnecting Russia from SWIFT will not be a part of the recent measures as nicely. “Putin will likely be a pariah on the worldwide stage,” Biden stated, and warned that Russia’s allies will likely be “stained by affiliation”.
President Biden: “This aggression can not go unanswered. If it did, the implications for America can be a lot worse. America stands as much as bullies. We get up for freedom. That is who we’re.” pic.twitter.com/cXTN5Xltah
— CSPAN (@cspan) February 24, 2022
“When the historical past of this period is written, Putin’s option to make a completely unjustifiable warfare on Ukraine may have left Russia weaker and the remainder of the world stronger,” Biden stated. Among the actions embody…
- BIDEN IMPOSING STRONG SANCTIONS, NEW LIMITS ON RUSSIA
- BIDEN: IMPACT ON U.S., ALLIES WILL BE MINIMIZED
- BIDEN: PUTIN IS THE AGRESSOR
- BIDEN: RUSSIA ABILITY TO DEAL IN YENS, EUROS TO BE LIMITED *BIDEN: SANCTIONING RUSSIA BANKS
- BIDEN: WILL BLOCK FOUR MAJOR RUSSIA BANKS
- BIDEN: ADDING SANCTIONS ON RUSSIAN ELITES
- BIDEN: WILL CUT OFF SOME OF RUSSIA IMPORTS
- BIDEN SAYS ESTIMATE SANCTIONS WILL CUT OFF MORE THAN HALF OF RUSSIA’S HIGH-TECH IMPORTS
- BIDEN SAYS U.S. FORCES WILL NOT FIGHT IN UKRAINE
- BIDEN: AUTHORIZING ADDITIONAL FORCES TO GERMANY
- BIDEN: SWIFT ALWAYS AN OPTION, RIGHT NOW NO PLAN TO USE
- PENTAGON ORDERS ADDITIONAL DEPLOYMENT OF ABOUT 7,000 TO EUROPE
- UKRAINE HEALTH MINISTER SAYS 57 KILLED AND 169 WOUNDED TODAY
The Q&A portion with the press included this epic trade on the US home affect with FOX’s correspondent:
DOOCY TIME: “Markets are down and gasoline costs are up. I do know you all the time stress the distinction between Wall Road and principal avenue, however everyone appears to be in for some financial ache. How economically painful is it going to get for individuals on this nation?” pic.twitter.com/p9ky97KZE2
— Curtis Houck (@CurtisHouck) February 24, 2022
And extra by way of breaking Bloomberg wires:
- Western Allies See Kyiv Falling to Russian Forces Inside Hours (7:54 p.m.)
- Kyiv could fall to Russian forces tonight as Ukraine’s air defenses have been successfully eradicated, based on a senior Western intelligence official.
- Russian troops are advancing towards Ukraine down either side of the Dnieper river and look set to take the capital, the official stated.
Beneath: up shut shot of Russian particular forces taking a Ukrainian airport…
Breaking: @mchancecnn with Russian forces on the Antonov airport about 15 miles exterior of Kyiv. “These troops you possibly can see over right here, they’re Russian airborne forces. They’ve taken this airport” pic.twitter.com/SnvmwQ1GeA
— Natasha Bertrand (@NatashaBertrand) February 24, 2022
* * *
President Biden will tackle the nation on the planet in his first televised feedback for the reason that 5am (Kiev time) large-scale air and floor Russian-Belarussian invasion of Ukraine. Provided that clearly Putin was fully undeterred by Biden’s meager and minimal “first tranche” of sanctions introduced earlier, the president is now vowing the ‘hardest sanctions ever’. The massive query stays: will Biden hit Vladimir Putin with sanctions personally? Will the West transfer to chop off Russia from the SWIFT cost system?
President Biden took to Twitter earlier than the tackle…
This morning, I met with my G7 counterparts to debate President Putin’s unjustified assault on Ukraine and we agreed to maneuver ahead on devastating packages of sanctions and different financial measures to carry Russia to account. We stand with the courageous individuals of Ukraine. pic.twitter.com/dzvYxj7J9w
— President Biden (@POTUS) February 24, 2022
Watch Dwell (remarks initially scheduled for 12:30ET have been moved to 1:30ET – with extra delays attainable):
To evaluate what’s on the desk, CNN writes: “Set to handle the nation Thursday afternoon, Biden is anticipated to unveil new measures that might reduce off Russia from superior know-how, announce new restrictions on massive monetary establishments and slap sanctions on further members of the inside circle of Russian President Vladimir Putin.”
In accordance with the breaking information wires, the UK has been the primary to behave amongst Western allies, rolling out with these preliminary severe measures:
- RUSSIA TO BE BARRED FROM RAISING SOVEREIGN DEBT IN U.Ok. MARKETS
- U.Ok. TO FREEZE ASSETS OF RUSSIA’S VTB BANK IMMEDIATELY
- U.Ok. BLOCKS RUSSIAN COMPANIES FROM RAISING FINANCE IN LONDON
- UK TO BAN AEROFLOT AIRCRAFT FROM LANDING IN UK
- U.Ok. IMPOSES SANCTIONS ON OVER 100 RUSSIA INDIVIDUALS, ENTITIES
- JOHNSON: BANNING EXPORT OF HIGH-TECH COMPONENTS TO RUSSIA
Regarding UK actions, there is not any point out of SWIFT – strongly suggesting this is not on the White Home menu of punitive measures at this level.
The massive query will stay: will Biden hit Vladimir Putin with sanctions personally?
Putin has beforehand stated he would take into account such a direct transfer towards a sitting head of state ‘an act of warfare’. In the meantime, might there be a lull within the fierceness of Russian navy motion by day’s finish?
RUSSIAN DEFENCE MINISTRY SAYS IT ACHIEVED ALL ITS GOALS FOR THURSDAY – IFAX
Here is what Ukraine is tentatively demanding, issued within the opening hours of the all-out assault:
The world should act instantly. Way forward for Europe & the world is at stake. To do listing:
1. Devastating sanctions on Russia NOW, together with SWIFT
2. Totally isolate Russia by all means, in all codecs
3. Weapons, gear for Ukraine
4. Monetary help
5. Humanitarian help
— Dmytro Kuleba (@DmytroKuleba) February 24, 2022
All this because the US is reportedly shifting fighter jets into Baltic NATO ally states. Whereas that is to be anticipated given airspace over the Baltics is routinely monitored by NATO fighters, it brings the US a bit nearer to the opportunity of tangling with Russian fighters within the area.
Lastly, we marvel simply what the Biden administration feels about this dialog that former president Trump had about Germany being ‘owned’ by Russia…
I do know CNN & MSNBC by no means aired this, so I figured I’d. Spot on, do not you assume? pic.twitter.com/6V1vRKxP8p
— Justin Pulitzer Trades 🍊 (@JustinPulitzer) February 24, 2022
Definitely makes imposing these “powerful” sanctions lots more durable eh!